Remarks: Originally delivered to the RAAF as A58-246 in Oct 1943, this aircraft was damaged in a crash landing at Lake Tarang, Victoria on Aug 26, 1945. Relocated from Australia to Duxford, UK in 1998. Restoration of this aircraft at Duxford, UK was completed in February 2000 and it was traded with the National Museum of the Air Force for a B-24 Liberator. Transported to Wright-Patterson AFB in a C-5A Galaxy. Shown here as MA863 in US Army Air Corp markings.
Remarks: Formerly with the US Navy, 132649 was transferred to the USAF as 52-132649. Used in rescue of downed airman March 10, 1966 at Special Forces camp at A Shau, for which Maj Bernard G. Fisher was awarded the Medal of Honor. Retired from active service in 1967, this plane is now on display at WPAFB Museum, Dayton, OH.
Remarks: Displaying the markings of the 4th FG and the tail number 49-1236, in recognition of the first F-86 shot down by a Mig 15 on 17 Dec 1950, flown by Lt.Col. Bruce Hinton. Actual tail number is 49-1067, cn 161-61.
Remarks: National Museum of the US Air Force. The Goblin (nicknamed "The Flying Egg") was designed as a parasite fighter which would be lowered and launched from a B-36 mother ship. Interestingly, the Goblin was never actually carried by a B-36; all the tests were done with a modified B-29. This is the first of only two Goblins produced.
Remarks: National Museum of the US Air Force. This was one of fourteen KC-135As converted to special testing. It was used for an 11-year experiment to prove that a high-energy laser could be operated effectively from a plane.